View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 20, 2014, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchemist redux View Post
Instead of a second BART tunnel, would it make sense to extend a heavy rail HSR/Caltrain tunnel across the Bay instead? This would turn Transbay into a through station. At the east portal, it could effectively become a wye, where the current Capitol Corridor - in both directions - could be electrified.

I don't know the logistics or cost differential of this, but some of the things this would allow would be more direct SF-Sacramento HSR service, and an alternative one seat route from the East Bay through Silicon Valley to San Jose.
MTC is actually studying this alternative. Here is one of their maps of a 4 track BART/heavy rail transbay tube that can be used by both Caltrain and BART. The BART tube continues through to to the west. I am unsure if they are still putting the south facing tail tracks on the new TTC. I think they were also looking at high(ish) speed electrified Capital Corridor trains being diverted into the City (some of them, obviously some will continue to the South Bay suburbs).