View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 22, 2014, 4:13 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Libertarians/conspiracy theorists are the worst.
Please don't lump Libertarians in with this guy... I would like to think I have a cogent thought every once in a while.

I don't completely disagree that transportation prices would be a step in the right direction, but the problem with that as it currently stands the City forces mandates that promote the automobile as the sole source of transportation. You can't force automobiles on someone then force them to pay more for using them.

Using property tax to pay for transportation creates a disconnect between cause and effect. It would be like having one big bill for all your home services (hydro, water, cable tv, internet, home phone, etc.). You wouldn't realize how much (or little) certain things cost if they weren't on seperate bills. Right now everyone pays their property tax bill and they get certain services; they don't know if they are getting value for the money (but I'm certain most would say they are not).

The other problem I have with property tax funding transportation is that we can't adjust our habits to pay less property tax; if it was an increase in gas tax I could theoretically drive less and spend less (ignoring the whole "all our products come from transport).