View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 12:11 AM

And now, part 4 of my Citizens Trust and Savings Bank round-up.

The Vermont-62nd Place branch was at 6226 S Vermont. Looking at Historic Aerials, it seems that this building was already a parking lot by 1972.

USC Digital Library

The photoset for this one also includes a couple of interior shots. I especially like the safe door on the second.

USC Digital Library

Here's the Vernon-Vermont branch at 4371 S Vermont. USC also has a 1925 photoset for this building when it was the Pacific-Southwest Bank. The picture below dates from 1932. Other than the signage, the main difference between the two is that the shops on the right were empty in 1925.

USC Digital Library

Both photosets include interior pictures. To match the exterior shot, I went with the one from 1932. When Citizens National took over, it looks like they lightened the interior slightly and rotated the floor tiles by 45 degrees.

This building is another survivor. I hope the original first floor is just hidden behind that paint and signage.

GSV

The Washington-Arlington branch at 2501 W Washington is another two-story building.

USC Digital Library

To me, the interior looks a bit cramped. Maybe that's why they've avoided using so much dark wood.

USC Digital Library

The building is still there and virtually intact. I find it strangely amusing that it now has bars on the windows even though it didn't when it was a bank.

Bing StreetSide

I didn't find any pictures of the Western 54th branch, but here's the building that stands there today - could it be the old bank?

GSV

I couldn't find any pictures of the Western-Second branch either, and today it's just an entrance. There are some nice ghost signs next door, and the corner building could date from around the time of the bank.

GSV

The Western-Virginia branch brings us back to the two-story buildings with roof signs. The bank at 1151 N Western is pictured here in 1927.

USC Digital Library

The building is now just two blocks south of the Hollywood Freeway. It's lost the tiled roof and roof sign, and the brickwork has been covered, but many other details like the repeating Greek border at the top still remain.

GSV

I'll conclude the 1929 list with the Wilmington branch at 200 E Anaheim. This one had two roof signs and some ornate details.

USC Digital Library

This set comes with a couple of interior shots.

Both from USC Digital Library

This has to be one of the best preserved survivors. The roof level detail has been redone to replicate the middle detail, but otherwise it looks intact.

GSV

I have one more Citizens Trust & Savings Bank post planned to wrap up a couple of branches not it the 1929 advert.