View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 9, 2014, 10:54 PM

Thanks for the extra info, Andys.

I'll start part 2 of my Citizens Trust and Savings Bank round-up with the Hollywood-Bronson branch at 5882 Hollywood Boulevard. It's now a 76 gas station.

USC Digital Library

USC doesn't have an exterior picture of the Hollywood-McCadden branch, so I went to the LAPL for this circa 1928 shot (previously posted Chuckaluck). On the left is Grauman's Egyptian Theatre and the Pig n' Whistle, while the Hotel Christie is just across McCadden Place on the right. All those survive, but the bank building has been replaced with a more modern grocery, gift and souvenir store.

LAPL

USC does have a couple of interior pictures taken around the same time.

Citizens Trust and Savings Bank, Hollywood Boulevard & North McCadden Place, Los Angeles, CA, 1928

USC Digital Library

I thought I was out of luck with the Larchmont Boulevard branch. In the end I had to settle for this distant view from a 1955 photo. Although there's a bank on that site today, the original building is long gone.

hollywoodphotographs.com

The Lincoln Heights branch at 2601 North Broadway is obviously not the most interesting thing in this 1927 picture. The caption doesn't fill in many gaps: "A woman named Olga takes a leopard down North Broadway in a wheel barrow. Here she is crossing the intersection of Daly Street as a policeman looks on." Again, there is bank on the site, but it's a much newer building.

LAPL

I can't find any trace of the Main-Vernon branch at 4378 South Main. It's now a Louisiana Fried Chicken joint. No sign of the Maywood branch at 4500 East Slauson either. That site is now a Denny's.

This is the Pico-Bronson branch at 4117 West Pico, seen here in 1927. According to the sign on the front, it was also known as the F.M Teter Building (which the 1927 CD lists as 1272 S Bronson Avenue). Who was F.M Teter? I could only find a couple of contemporary references to Mr and Mrs F.M Teter of Alhambra in copies of 'The Catalina Islander'.

USC Digital Library

The building is still there and survives as a church, although all of its charm has gone.

GSV

The Pico-Figueroa branch at 1301 S Figueroa was part of a larger building. This view today would be looking straight at the entrance of the Convention Center. It's well worth zooming this picture for the details.

USC Digital Library

More to follow ...

Last edited by HossC; Apr 22, 2014 at 11:28 PM. Reason: Typo!