View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RST500 View Post
There's a Little Bangladesh in LA near Koreatown but the community is still very small. The area is mostly Korean and Central American.
Fun fact: Koreatown is the hub of the Oaxacan community in LA. Mexicans are still the largest ethnic group in Koreatown/Little Bangladesh, contrary to the names of these neighborhoods, and the majority of them are from Oaxaca.

I'm actually a bit curious how neighborhoods receive these ethnic enclave designations. Obviously it makes sense in places like Koreatown or Chinatown, where the population of people from those countries are very visible, but how about in places like Little Bangladesh? There is a verrrrry tiny community of Bangladeshis there- way fewer than other ethnic groups that live there- yet the neighborhood gets called Little Bangladesh? Other than a small, spread out collection of restaurants, there is nothing that would signify that you're in a Bangladeshi neighborhood.

Closer to where I live, there's a sign calling a section of Los Feliz/Silver Lake "Little Lithuania" (https://www.google.com/maps/@34.1085...7i13312!8i6656) . There is a Lithuanian Catholic Church (St. Cassimer), but other than that, literally no sign of an ethnic community at all. No restaurants, no stores...nothing but the church. That's enough to constitute a Little Lithuania? Come on.