View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 6, 2016, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post

AmeriCar the Beautiful

Saw this online-- no info on location or the film it came from....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noircitydame View Post

No info in the location but I think the film where they wreck a Ford coupe is False Alarms (1936).
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryHuntington View Post

Larchmont Blvd. was a favorite filming location for the Stooges, as it was convenient to Paramount's studios. The line poles in the center of the street and the upscale residences in the background were characteristic of Larchmont during that era.
The car in 'False Alarms' is never seen with a license plate, but the damage does look consistent. Nevertheless, it's a fun short, and has a few outside locations.

Opposite the fire house where the Three Stooges are working, Curly unrolls the hoses, but they get chopped up by passing streetcars.

You can see a then and now comparison of this location at N Larchmont and Melrose in the video below.

Video Link

The fire house itself was Engine Co No 61 at 5821 W 3rd Street.

It was demolished in 1984. There's a set of black & white photos courtesy of the Los Angeles Fire Department Historical Society on Flickr, while the image below is from a page at lafire.com.

www.lafire.com

Curly manages to catch a cake that he knocked out of a window at the Ashley Apartments. I found the Ashley Apartments in the CDs at 849 S Kenmore Ave, but by 1936, it had been the Ashby Arms for a few years, so I'm guessing that this was a set.

Going by HenryHuntington's description, this must be N Larchmont Boulevard.

Carl Folsom's gas station was at 600 N Larchmont Boulevard, very close to where the fire hose scenes were filmed.

Although I found Remington-Rand Inc at 1656 Cherokee Avenue, Max Factor was at 1668 N Highland Avenue in 1936. Coupled with the curve in the street, which wasn't there when the car crashed, it makes me think that this was also a set. Compare the damage, especially the windshield, with the image posted by GW.

I don't know which street this is. It's a static camera angle that the fire truck drives through.

The final shot shows the Three Stooges drive off with the smoking car in the back of a Bekins truck. By the position of the E Clem Wilson Building, this must be looking south on LA Brea.

Last edited by HossC; Mar 6, 2016 at 3:35 PM. Reason: Typo.