View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 25, 2013, 4:25 AM

Wilshire & Cloverdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post

In each of the descriptions of the Darkroom I've seen, the building is made to sound as though it's a stand-alone building; it's hard to tell if Miller just did the facade or a more complete design. He did seem to make a specialty of these few blocks of Wilshire.... He is credited in one 1937 Times article with 5356, between the building at the sw corner of Detroit and the row of buildings that contains the Darkroom. Perhaps he actually did the entire southerly block from Detroit to Cloverdale over time. As for the northerly block, according to reports in the Times, his design for a Union Bank branch at 5351 (nw corner Detroit) seems to have morphed between July and November 1937 into a Melody Lane...
The Darkroom looks to be just one shopfront in a larger building:

Werner von Boltenstern Postcard Collection, Department of Archives and Special Collections, Loyola Marymount University Library

Hard to tell from gsv now with all the facia boards:

gsv

But the roof still gives it away:

google maps

Neat trick remodeling the building at the NE corner of of Wilshire and Cloverdale without disturbing the rooftop sign:

lapl

originally posted by godzilla

And thx for this. I love "special" doorways:

lapl

P.S. Miller did the building with the weird vertical at the sw corner of Wilshire & Detroit (or just the green one)? Hasn't the corner one come up on the thread before? I seem to remember it was a Kress.

Yes, here it is: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=9819
Godzilla
ID'ed it:

lapl

How I'd love to go down to the Miracle Mile some night with a crowbar and pry all the extraneous crap off it. How does anyone think all the cheap "cosmetic" junk looks better than decently maintained buildings?

I still prefer it to this though. Disney creeps me out.:

www.guidetodisney.com

Last edited by tovangar2; Jan 25, 2013 at 6:14 AM. Reason: add P.S.