View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 24, 2013, 2:22 AM
Greetings from New Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy1983 View Post
In Pittsburgh, they're talking about merging 10 public transit agencies into one large entity serving 9 counties in Western PA:

http://triblive.com/news/allegheny/3...#axzz2Lm8JwEMI

Frankly, I've suggested this for years. Public transportation in the Pittsburgh region is very fragmented. Just like in the greater Philly region, many people travel from one suburban area to another (i.e. Bethel Park or Upper St. Clair to Washington County, or from Ross Twp to Cranberry. Yet, Port Authority and the neighboring transit agencies all offer overlapping services. Why not remove the crowded buses and either extend BRT or establish a commuter rail network to handle trunk routes where applicable and have bus feeder routes providing connections to the trunk routes/lines.

Instead of having the state coughing up a small fortune year in and year out to 10 different agencies, they could provide one large amount to one large agency and ultimately save millions over the years as stated in the article. I like that idea as well.
Western should have one agency and Eastern should have 2 agencies its not that hard too do and would a lot of money along with possibly making expansions easier.