View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMIII View Post
Well that's a lot of reasons not to like it.
It is difficult to argue about taste and I won't. I also don't like boxes except when they are tall and thin which is the case with this tower. I also like its monolithic slab in the back and the way it stands in the sky. From what I red, I know that we have one thing in common: we particularly appreciate postmodernism. However, I also believe that contrast is important to get a vigorous and vibrant skyline. What is your favorite NY skyscraper built in last two decades?
Hmm, interesting question! I like the Gehry tower, with qualifications (don't like the base at all, but love its presence on the skyline). I think the Bank of America tower is okay. But the pickings are slim. Of course if you go back 25 years that takes you into the golden age of postmodernism and I'd be able to add a bunch more to the list.

I do like several buildings that are going up now, though: 56 Leonard, 111 57th Street, the Robert Stern buildings (with qualifications). Certainly I think that we're about to see the best buildings built in the city since the early 90s.