View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 13, 2014, 2:24 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLskyline View Post
Added a poll with some ideas to rejuvenate the street. I left out unrealistic things like a tramway...

I tend to think that pedestrianization is the wrong way to go. I think St. Paul in Old Montreal is a much better candidate for pedestrianization. I find most of the other options interesting though. I definitely think on street parking should be removed, and the sidewalks should be widened slightly (it is annoying to walk on Ste-Catherine if you are "going somewhere" rather than window shopping). If there is space, it could be cool to add a bike lane, to make Ste-Catherine two-directional again, or even just to beautify the street with more vegetation and street furniture.
I like this idea. I am on the fence for pedestrianization. It is has been a fabulous success on some major commercial streets (e.g., in Oslo) but a miserable failure in others (e.g., South Granville in Van)