View Single Post
Old Posted May 16, 2011, 10:01 AM

Got this 1934 Bekins map from eBay just this past Friday! Perfect timing, as it gives an aerial view of the new Times Building and its printing and binding house annex. It clearly shows the physical connection between the two buildings.

Bekins Van & Storage Co., from my personal collection.

You can also just barely see the top of the clock tower of the old Times Building still peeking out from behind the new State Building.

Personally, my favorite aspect of this view is seeing the Bank Of Italy (International Savings & Exchange Bank) Building and its close proximity to the north entrance of City Hall. I always knew they were next-door neighbors, but I never realized before now just HOW close the two buildings were to each other. ^^

*smiles* The more I think about it, I'd also really like to take our noirish time machine back specifically to the L.A. of 1934-'35 – not only to be able to dine at the Paris Inn , but also more in general to see the city as my mom first knew it, when she moved to L.A. from Utah at age 17. I would truly love to be able to talk to her now about all these places, which she surely must have visited and seen firsthand. I really do miss her an awful lot...

-Scott

Last edited by Los Angeles Past; Jun 13, 2012 at 5:32 AM.