View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 2, 2012, 10:50 PM

There is a number of things I've noticed about these two pictures and the intervening ten or fifteen years between them.

First, in the 1880's:

The first thing I noticed is the remodel of the house in the right hand foreground. The attic windows with Gables. The completely redone roof. The removal of the second story porch. Then looking over the house I notice they've built some kind of racetrack complete with grandstand. And what about the elevated railway over there north of the train tracks in the 1880's shot? What happened to that? It's gone ten years later. Also, in the 1900 photo, what's that bridge there in the background on the right hand side? I'd love to compare this with maps of the era. How about the confusing trees? If you go by the foreground trees, the only ones to age properly are the deciduous ones on the right hand side. All the palms are the same size and the trees on the left are actually smaller. One last thing, the fact that both shots are car free and instead sport horse drawn carriages. Our fair city is older than it currently seems...

[/QUOTE]