View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 12, 2011, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malumot View Post
Great point Sopas!

In a word - yes, I think so too. And what's even more odd/strange/fascinating is that it's not just the Bird of Paradise, but LOTS of landscape trees and shrubs......the fact they fall in and out of fashion. (I had no idea until I read something about this, and, sure enough, it made sense).

Here's one that used to be everywhere. Hollywood, or Twisting, Juniper. TONS of these were planted in the 50s and 60s. Lots of older ones are still around, but I almost never see these planted new. (If you wanted one from Home Depot you would have to special order it.)

I found Hollywood Junipers at Home Depot about 15 years ago here on Long Island, NY. Bought three of them. I don't remember how much I paid, probably around 12 bucks each which would be a lot for me. I always liked the look of them on my trips to LA. Mine are still alive but a lot more spindly then the one in the picture.

And let me take this opportunity to thank whoever posted that link to 'Highway Patrol' on Hulu. It's great. I haven't seen it in probably 45 years. "Leave your blood at the Red Cross, not on the highway" cracks me up every time.

Last edited by MikeD; Feb 12, 2011 at 3:37 AM.