View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 3:24 PM
Montérégien

Quote:
Originally Posted by begratto View Post
Great set of pics! It's always nice to see the countryside, not only skyscrapers.
Hé, merci !

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
My first impression is that this looks like typical small-town America, especially here in the Upper Midwest...until you got to the thin-spired and twin-spired Catholic church in each town. It must have been a style at the time or something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy de la Sucre View Post
Weird, they look like France, but feel like North America;or they look like North America but feel like France ...
For me, I would say that it neither of those 2, it's simply canadien. It has something latin / catholic with the huge presence of one monumental church in every village. You find that in other post-renaissance areas of "latinity" (France, Italy, Latin America...) The tin spires are this canadian take on religious architecture. It was a major trend from ~1800 to ~1945. The layout of the villages though has nothing european at all ; it is typically north american scale-wise, but again with this canadian twist that is the seigneurial communal tenure (division of the land/properties in narrow bands, so that the homes were pretty close to the others, forming street villages).