View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 8:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklehead2 View Post
Sorry to come across as harsh (and I was) but if you read the comments above from the beginning of the thread, I've had fellow forumers not even admit affordability is a problem for nearly half of Edmontonians based on ACTUAL data, and you breeze in here with some dime-store advice that doesn't even apply to the conversation at hand since your premise alone is faulty based on statistics, not your just opinion of the poor which from your own tone and comments seems less than pleasant... For the record the people who need "affordable" housing the most make less than your base rate your basing your whole philosophy and financial scheme is based upon...

I'm sorry for completely disregarding the idea as well. I've had a couple of days to think about it and I can see why I was letting my own situation dictate my judgment. I'm not saying I'm suddenly convinced that there is a major issue, but I have to accept that not everyone is able to do certain things. Life is complicated and not everyone fits neatly into a standardized box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklehead2 View Post
Now if you want to move beyond this and actually debate be my guest... I see a lot of others have already tapped out which goes to show you the topic neither interests them nor do they have anything positive or remotely helpful to add to a debate that is MORE than needed, even if it's icky for snowflakes who'd rather not have to deal with the harsh realities of life beyond their own bubble...

PS, as for my financial data. I have stellar credit (in the actual top tier) but I just don't earn enough to qualify for any sort of mortgage, coupled with $25K in student loan debt from a university degree in communications. So yeah, I'm boned because even the rental market in Edmonton isn't affordable for someone who earns in the $17-18/hour range and of course all conventional affordable housing schemes like Habitat for Humanity or YMCA projects are aimed at the most vulnerable... So unless you have any actual advice beyond "earn more money" be my guest...
I guess the first thing we need to do is establish a point of agreement. I agree that if an individual works a 40 hour work week, then that individual should receive a livable wage.

I punched in the numbers and 20 dollars an hour is just under 40k a year. Let's round it to 40k and assume the after tax income is roughly 32,000 dollars. If we assume that rent and utilities eat up 12k a year, you're left with 20k for entertainment, food, savings, loan payments etc... Student loan debt eats up 4-5000 dollars a year easy. Suddenly things start getting shaky.

So yes, these numbers aren't what I had in mind. Again, my bad for not standing back and actually looking at what an individual earning that salary would have to work with.

It's not that I'm not capable of putting myself in the shoes of others. I'm a first generation Canadian (came to Canada when I was in high school). Parents were never rich. FAR from it. They weren't even in the middle class in the first few years. The thing is, where we came from provided so much less opportunities (even though my parents arguably had a better life back in the old country) that the thought of complaining has always felt crazy to us. I can go get a job in Northern Alberta and pay off 20k worth of debt in half a year. Or do X, or do Y etc...

Is that realistic for everyone? I have to accept the fact that the answer is no. But that's where my head was when I jumped into the thread and made the comments that I made.

I think a lot of others are in the same boat as I am. They look around them and they see opportunities and think to themselves why is this person complaining about a low salary when there are other opportunities out there. This is a stupid way to think. But I'll be the first to admit that I have a hard time escaping this line of thinking.

Re. policy issues, I wish Canada would follow the footsteps of countries like Denmark or Sweden. Education, health care and other necessities of life shouldn't put people in debt. People in Europe live comfortable lives on 40k Euro salaries. When you don't have to service student loan debt, when you have access to fantastic public transportation that negates the need for a car, when you have access to affordable child care etc... the cost of living drops drastically, even though you pay higher taxes.