View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 3:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLonthebrain View Post
ANC is only a player in the game of Air Cargo because of its geography and the fact most widebody cargo aircraft can't fly nonstop between the U.S. and Asia. Those planes can carry much more total weight as freighters than they can in a traditional passenger configuration. More weight equals less range. So, they need a tech stop to refuel and continue on. If not for that, ANC would play an extremely minor role in the business. And, it's not an issue of "airspace" but "ground space" that will drive opportunity away from the coastal states and potentially to BOI, SLC, GEG in the years to come. As those airports run out of room to expand cargo facilities, the doors begin to open for other airports further inland.

As great as it would be to see a carrier replace Southwest to RNO, it's probably not going to happen in 2012. If Southwest, as the only game in town flying the route, and offering connecting opportunities to SoCal, Vegas, PHX, etc. couldn't make it work, it will be hard to convince another carrier to do it. From a seat capacity standpoint, I think the Q400 is the perfect sized aircraft and it has the right operational characteristics. But, when weighed against other opportunities Alaska Air Group has in its sights, I doubt it is high on the list.

DL is doing exactly what any company should do in the current situation @ SLC. It actually reduced BOI-SLC capacity a couple of months ago and the decision to do so was made prior to Southwest's announcement. It's part of a broader network reduction. Southwest's service doesn't end until 1/8/12, so it is still operating 2x daily for another 7-weeks. DL has reduced its overall capacity @ SLC, so BOI is but one of the markets to be impacted. Keep in mind DL is ridding itself of dozens of 50-seat RJs, as well as the last of the DC9's it acquired from NW. Something will happen for the spring/summer BOI schedule, but not likely sooner than that. And, it certainly won't be anything above the 8x daily service DL operated over the summer. Hopefully its service to SLC remains in extremely high demand, warranting both added capacity along with the ability to charge a fare premium post-Southwest. The latter is what is most important to the company, but it may see a parallel opportunity to increase frequency and/or aircraft size as the traditionally busiest season of travel approaches and become even more profitable.
I really like learning so much about about aviation and particularly air cargo. I had no idea that Cargo planes were unable to make it to the mainland and that is why Anchorage has become such a key player in air cargo. After I posted, I thought about what you just said. I've flown the BOI-RNO route before, but only as a connection to LAX. Those who I've chatted with on the plane have also been on their way somewhere else besides Reno. I don't think we'll miss the Reno route too much as long as Southwest still provides good 1-stop destinations, and it does through Oakland and Denver.

My wishlist for Boise expanded service would start with American adding flights to DFW, and Delta doing BOI-ATL. Hawaii would be great, but I'm not a fan of Allegiant after living in Idaho Falls so I'm willing to hold out. Also US Airways to Philadelphia would be great to get us a Northeast destination...