View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 2:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirsty View Post
Funny, I pass over a lot of Phoenix stuff because there are a dozen threads (though only 3-4 active at any time), but Tucson probably could stand to break it off into Downtown Tucson, Suburban Tucson, and probably a sort of regional business development thread.
We could, but this is easier.
First off Happy 200th page and Easter.
Thank you Kanaui for all the help and work you've put into following development. I have been following your page for years. I'm a little scared that we're going to get lost without you.
Next: Tucson vs Phoenix. I'm a Tucsonan, have been all my life. Let me tell you something. Phoenix is a LOT better and I hate to say that. Drive down Baseline road or Ray Road and it's an urban paradise. What do we have Broadway, Oracle? Hopefully Houghton will come out to be a nice road but even Rita Ranch is going downhill. Most parts of Tucson are eye sores. 4th avenue? THE WORST!!!! I HATE HATE HATE 4th Avenue. All the buildings are crappy and they either sell novelty items or drugs. That road is what keeps regular people far away from downtown. I went there last week and was very disappointed. The only things for regular people there are Lindy's, Brooklyn's, Skybar and Magpies. Yea sure we have the street fair but that's not a year round occurrence. It's bad when the nicest building on the road is the Cadence. I'm not saying that we need to get rid of the bars and clubs (I'm not much of a drinker or a clubber) but we do need to update the buildings, torch the novelty stores. Everybody says that fourth avenue is the city's best, is it? Is the best of Tucson a road full of novelty stores? I hope that the downtown business Playground,Hub and other regular people stores and restaurants continue to thrive. I am really counting on ground level retail to on our new buildings to really pick up. If they become novelty stores, at least it's in a nicer newer building. Nothing is keeping UofA grads in Tucson. Maybe the streetcar will, but it seems that most people are running as far away from Tucson as possible. I'm sorry. I just hate it there. I had to rant.
Phoenix people. Not to be rude but run your own threads. This thread works for us Tucsonans (after what I said about 4th ave I'm probably going to be banished). Remember there's only like 15 of us and the most recent project to be approved was Hub a while back ago. Phoenix is a bigger city and has more going on. But I understand why your mentioning more pages. Please don't be offended by this.
Next on the list....
farmerk the links you posted were helpful. The one with "similar sized cites" was kinda like a reminder that we need to step it up. Palm Springs is nowhere close to the size of Tucson but yet they have a better convention center than we do?! I also saw a new picture of the Junction at Iron Horse. It looks bigger and closer in size to the District on Fifth. Nice. I'd be okay with that area being hit with Parisization as I'm calling it. Washington DC works pretty well without any tall buildings but a crap load of 6-15 story buildings.
EDIT- Sorry if I forgot who the links were posted by. I think I got it wrong

Last edited by Ritarancher; Apr 2, 2013 at 2:56 AM.