View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 23, 2012, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetM View Post
Found it!

The building in the center is at 12th & Wall St. (we're looking mostly at the 12th St. side.) The larger building a block to the right is at 12th and San Julian. They're both still there.

It appears then that the photo was taken from the top of the Allied Crafts Building, or from the building to the north of it - Maple Tower? Or perhaps a lower floor of one of them while it was under construction. The Allied Crafts Building was built in 1925. The Bendix building would block the left of the photo if it existed, and it was built in 1929.

Here's a street view of the central building in the photo:
http://goo.gl/maps/s1BwG

The distinctive roofline on the inside alley corner gives it away. The larger building at San Julian can be seen in the distance.

For this shot, I removed the 3D models of the Bendix Building, Maple Tower, and a parking garage at the SE corner of 12th & Wall. Judging by this, the extremely close roofline at bottom center of the original photo is the Allied Crafts Building, while the roofline in the right foreground is actually a shorter, narrow building facing Wall St. (also still with us, at 1223-1225 Wall St.).
Oh man, you're good. That is such a nice photograph and now we know what and where it lives. I especially liked the clear image of the houses. Going back to my FlickR account to update my caption on it. Thanks again.