View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 4:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudry View Post
Sooo, it's kind of difficult to express the magnitude of what's been released. I'm just gonna leave this here and let you see for yourself...

https://esotouric.com/2020/09/05/ruscha/

Quote:
Originally Posted by riichkay View Post
Beaudry is correct, you can get lost in the Ed Ruscha images for hours....our friend Alison Martino from Vintage L.A. says that she was up until 5 AM going through the pictures....we will be working this one for quite some time....

One of the comments someone made on the link Beaudry posted above was this:

Just looking at some of the shots along Sunset and noticed that a lot of the captions and descriptions are not very precise in regards to cross streets.

I'm in agreement. Trying to find a particular area is rather confusing. You can't just search for an address really, nor any landmark. If anyone discovers something worth noting about the search functions, let us know.

But that it's available is pretty amazing.
___

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Here's another image we haven't seen on nla.

"1972 los angeles street scene hollywood vintage original 35mm slide."

eBay

We're looking west on Hollywood Blvd. at Western Avenue. In the distance on the right is the old St. Francis Hotel - ...but I find the smaller places just as interesting. . .

. . .like the noirish sounding 'The Rail' bar and the nearby Dante's Cafe.
[...]

I'd like to learn more about the 49r. ...
There was a bar in my hometown called the 49 Lounge (located on Illinois State Route 49) that seemed mysterious to me when I was a kid.

From the Ruscha photos, E_R, here's the 49r from 1973, a couple years after the color slide photo.

Ruscha Collection