View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 31, 2014, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

Great to hear from sopas_ej and Beaudry.
Thank you GE and ER for the kind words. It has been a long time -- wish I could say it was because I had to do a stretch in County for punching out my parole officer in a bar fight...because that would be suitably noir. (Rather, it was just some boring family stuff.) But it's very good to be back and I look forward to catching up. I just started tossing stuff into the ol' scanner and here is some 70s noir on the desktop:

Looking up Main from the 800-block split.

How could the noirish crowd not be particularly fond of the Chandler? Note as well the California Theater. Demo'd in '89, now the site of a mysteriously zebra-striped building:

A shot of folk under the California Theater marquee:

And on the sidewalk a couple doors north:

I became curious by the Hotel Senator, which seemed to be there (next to its pal The Dewey) in name and spirit, but didn't match in massing --

lapl

But I figured it out:
kfa

And a couple pix of old Glendale from the same collection of negatives:

Jeremiah Johnson on the big screen, which pegs these as probably early '73.

Looking down Wilson toward Orange. Nothing on the left remains, it's an open pit. The important, intact and amazing 1939/41 streamline moderne Alexander's Market by Stiles Clements is just across the street from that pit and it too IS BEING TORN DOWN. Because Glendale is stupid.