View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 14, 2021, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbao58 View Post
There are no high rises anywhere near that stretch of Bissonnet on any street as narrow and in such a predominantly SFH residential area as that. The nearest high rises are either over in the Rice Village area, near large capacity streets like Kirby, or over in the Montrose/Main/Binz/Hermann Park area. None of that area is predominantly SFH residential, either.

What is the attraction to disrupting the long-standing character of this neighborhood? Is it just to have another tower to admire from a distance? And a not all that attractive tower at that, in my opinion.

As for your NEVER seeing the "massive traffic" some think will be generated, some of that may be because you aren't near those high rises at all hours to see all conditions? More likely "massive traffic" is less of a worry than just "increased traffic." And, again, any high rises remotely nearby that you walk past every day are in very different neighborhoods. But regardless of that, traffic on Bissonnet is bad enough in that area at certain times of day and it has been for DECADES.

"NIMBY" is a very easy thing to accuse people of being when it's someone else's neighborhood that is being affected. And as I said elsewhere, with the urban design community so constantly (and often unfairly) criticizing what they believe is Houston's total lack of planning (which we know is not the case), I sometimes think the only conceivable reason for so adamantly wanting this building built is some fetish for tall buildings no matter what the cost to the surrounding community might be.
Your post to which I responded spoke only of traffic, and that is what I responded to. Now you seem to want to change your argument to one of "scale" etc. So be it. That's a rather different discussion. I stand by my observation that high-rise residential buildings are not the large traffic generators they are portrayed as being, and focusing on traffic to oppose such projects is disingenuous at best.