View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 9:09 PM

I don't believe we seen this 1980 proposal titled 'A Grand Avenue'. (Carlos Diniz, artist)

experiments.californiahistoricalsociety

"Carlos Diniz (artist), Overview Rendering of “A Grand Avenue,” 1980
Lawrence Halprin, A Life Spent Changing Places
(Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania, 2011) Archive of Carlos Diniz / Family of Carlos Diniz"

I'm a bit confused by the information. The artist is Mr. Diniz but the architect is Lawrence Halprin. Am I reading that correctly?

I wasn't reading it correctly.

The archichect is Barton Meyers

Here's the largest image I was able to find of the project.

adc-exhibits.museum

Pretty cool!

more info:

Description-
"In 1980, the Los Angeles Community Redevelopment Agency was planning to demolish the Bunker Hill area of the city and organized a competition for a team of architects to design a new urban center.
'A Grand Avenue' proposal was created by developer Robert Maguire and led by Barton Myers Associates and the Urban Innovations Group.

Barton Myers and Edgardo Contini designed a mixed-use development with housing, shops, hotels, parks, and offices. Myers designed two residential towers, both containing ample outdoor space for residents. The plan was to integrate the new development into the surrounding area, bridging the older neighborhood to the east with the newer areas of the downtown core. Their plan did not win the competition, but was widely admired by architects and the public."

adc-exhibits.museum

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Nov 10, 2020 at 9:27 PM.