View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 7:10 AM

Los Angeles Street between 8th and 9th

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
Down the street a few blocks, a bustling market scene on San Pedro St and 9th in 1898.

This is apparently the area where the City Market South project is ongoing (?).....from their website:
The City Market South site was part of the oldest produce market in Los Angeles, and has been owned and operated by The City Market of Los Angeles since 1909. In 2013, downtown developer LENA Group conceptualized the vision for City Market South as a destination for dining, entertainment and creative businesses, and teamed with the long-time property owner to realize the project’s vision.

This is a wonderful photo! Thanks for posting it ScottyB.

However, I believe we are looking west across Los Angeles Street between 8th and 9th, c. 1900-03.

This is the 1906 Sanborn showing that block, with north on the right. Above "GELES" are 825 and 827 S. Los Angeles,
separated by a passageway (perhaps the photo was taken from the NW corner of the Hewes Market building?):

ProQuest via LAPL

Here are 825, the passageway, and 827 from the photo. Hanging out over the street, like it is on the map, is 825's awning.
I could not find an LACD that listed the Lem Yen & Co. Fruit Co.:

1998-0264 @ CA St Library

I think we can date the photo c. 1900-03 because of the building with the lettering on the NW corner of 8th and Los Angeles,
above and behind the wagonload of watermelons. I can make out "Ornamental," "Iron Fence," and "Ed Tri . . .":

That's Edward G. Trinkkeller at 115 E. 8th:

1900 LACD @ fold3.com

He's also there in 1901 and, for the last time at that address, in 1902:

1902 LACD @ fold3.com

In 1903 he's listed at 765 S. Los Angeles Street; that's almost certainly the NW corner of 8th and Los Angeles, so either
he relocated around the corner from 115 E. 8th, or it's the same location but renumbered.

EGT worked for others from 1895-99, and in 1904 he made cornices at 1720 S. Main St.

Last edited by Flyingwedge; Nov 21, 2018 at 6:50 PM. Reason: stupid photobucket and its ~original extension