View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 24, 2009, 11:30 AM
arf

@aleks: nice photos. I'd toss one and throw in a decent person shot if you have it. It's good to have a well-rounded range

Quote:
Originally Posted by initiald View Post
Been reading up on the new Nikon D5000. I was wanting the D90, but the D5000 is a good bit cheaper. It seems like the middle model between the incredibly popular gen1 D40 and gen2 D90. My biggest issue is, unlike the D90, the D5000 won't autofocus with AF lens - just AF-S lens like the D40 does.
It is a bit of a kludge on that one, but if you don't have any glass then it's less of an issues. Just check to see what the costs on comparable lenses are between -S and straight AF lenses. That should tell you what the better option is.

On a personal experience level, it might be worthwhile to go with the newer -S lenses, depending on how well the autofocus works. I struggle with autofocus hunting with my F/1.4 50mm AF lens on a D50. Generally it fails to find focus in shaded light or lacking contrast flat viewpoint photos. Not a good combination for me given my love of shooting store and house fronts in a straight-on portraiture style.

It looks like a beautiful sunny day today. Hoping for a couple of quality hours with my second favourite pasttime.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss