Thread: Calgary Roads
View Single Post
Old Posted May 18, 2019, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Interesting, surprising (and sad) to see no transit projects at all in the top 10. I wonder if there was any mention of commuter rail in the report. Once we've 4 laned Deerfoot that's it, we're essentially maxed out on road capacity heading from Airdrie to downtown Calgary.
If the list contains 160 projects I'd be surprised if commuter rail wasn't mentioned. Building a Hyperloop is probably on the list as well.

It's weird that the Calgary Herald is only mentioning this story now when it was in the news nearly two weeks ago. What I heard back then is that this is primarily economic driven which makes given that the area is a huge distribution hub. Building more interchanges and expanding road capacity is what we need to be doing to keep the advantages we have and attract new business. If the region is supposed to gain 650K new residents in the next 20 years transit projects will be built. As Accord1999 pointed out, the top rated project so much higher than the others because that road will help to tie Airdrie into the Green Line.