View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 22, 2014, 12:42 AM
Homo sapiens sapiens

Bowery Boogie:

Signs of SPURA Development: Drilling for Soil Samples at 400 Grand Street
Posted on: February 21st, 2014 at 6:10 am by Elie

Quote:
While groundbreak on the new Essex Crossing megaproject is still a year from reality, we now have the first outward indications of future development. Stationed beside the doomed 400-402 Grand Street yesterday morning was what appeared to be a Davey Drill rig, presumably to collect soil samples. This drilling typically transpires before any large-scale construction for the purposes of testing water levels and gauging the composition of the fill, rock, and soil beneath the street. Readouts can then provide a better snapshot of scope for excavation activities.

Meanwhile, 400 Grand is certainly not long for the Lower East Side. Its unfortunate position in SPURA lot number five is death sentence enough. The buildings are slated for eviction sometime in June so that the HPD can get in there and do some tests. It’s still unclear, however, where the displaced tenants and businesses of this address will end up.

Preparations for ‘Essex Crossing’ on Grand St.

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~