View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 9, 2014, 3:52 AM

Future Muscle Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Does anyone recognize the buildings behind these three sun-bathers?

ebay
I thought this was cool as I just saw the Huell Howser episode on Muscle Beach today. This must be one of the few photos without people flipping and flexing. Could be before the workout equipment was installed in the 30's? Sad that many of the buildings in the immediate background of all those Muscle Beach photos are gone. The Vista Tea Room building stood about where Hot Dog On A Stick is now, just north of the brown building in the picture below. That building is still there (now white), along with the Purser Apartments (now beige), just behind the chess board between Seaside Terrace and Arcadia Terrace.

ER, your 2012 posting of the huge 1947 Muscle Beach photo is the Santa Monica location.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Here's an enormous photo of Muscle Beach/Venice Beach in 1947.

http://macrochef.files.wordpress.com...nd-r1-e054.jpg

above: There's a good trick going on in front of the middle tan awning (pan right----> )

In the Howser episode, he actually interviewed several old timers including Pudgy Stockton, mentioned by MichaelRyerson in this post.

I thought it funny that they mentioned the differences between the gymnasts and the bodybuilders...they didn't mix too much, apparently. The gymnasts said they were there all day from 8am while the bodybuilders came for an hour and got in their way the rest of the day, distracting the womenfolk. Today, the rings and swings remain at the original site of Muscle Beach while the bodybuilders have moved south to the Venice boardwalk, near Windward Ave, separated after all those years.

Last edited by Sonny☼LA; Aug 10, 2014 at 7:54 PM. Reason: Correction to location of Vista Tea Room.