View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 12, 2009, 5:13 PM
Only Mostly Dead

I didn't realize there would be need for this much eminent domain action for the terminal. It's a shame for these folks that the development that would otherwise be a huge improvement for their businesses will end up killing them in their present location instead. I hope they can all make a successful move.

From the SF Public Press:

Quote:

New transit center to displace SoMa neighbors
By Angela Hart
Dec 11, 2009

Business owners and residents in the path of San Francisco’s ambitious, new $4.2-billion transit-center redevelopment are voicing frustration that part of the neighborhood is being pressured to relocate. They include not only eight parking lots, but 26 other businesses and at least 24 live-work lofts.

Some small-business owners are conflicted. They say that while the project may be good for the city and for the region, it’s bad for their livelihoods. The nation’s struggling economic climate has taken a financial toll, they say, and it’s difficult to relocate when there’s no financing available. Moving will make it hard to sustain their current clientele...

Continue reading here.
The map answers a question I had about turning Natoma into a pedestrian lane: Access to parking at the small condo building won't be an issue as the building will be gone. We knew the building at Howard and Second would be demolished, but I had no idea that entire block would be gone. Also, I remember over a year ago there was much discussion about the possible demolition of the buildings on the southeast corner of Howard and Second. Apparently, those are all going too.

PS: Sorry about the size of the map.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park