View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingwedge View Post
Thanks for yet another fine Schulman post, Hoss. I found some more Academy Theatre images (all dated 1939) at UCLA.

Floorplan:

Lobby door detail:

This is an interesting alternate version of the tower:

Even though this is labeled the foyer, I initially misread the plans and thought this was the lobby.
But, as you will see a few posts down, UphillDonkey caught my error. Thanks, UD!:

Auditorium entrance:

This is a closer view of the etched glass panel in the previous photo; the large figure is holding an Oscar:

The credits on the lower right of the etched glass panel (just barely visible on the Auditorium Entrance photo):

Architect - S. Charles Lee
Mural Artist - Millard Sheets
Glass Sculpture - Carvarts, Inc.

Thanks also for showing the projection booth. When I was a little kid my grandfather was the projectionist at the
Gordon Theatre on La Brea Avenue (now the Regent Showcase), and I remember being in the booth a few times. He
worked a day job before going to the theater at night, and he used to sleep once the movie started. But there was
something in the projector that clicked or made some noise near the end of a reel that always woke him up in time
to start the next reel.
This building is a work of art. Everywhere the eye looks, it encounters beauty - inside the building as well as outside. They sure don't build 'em like that anymore. Our loss.