View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 2:44 AM

Pico and Fig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noircitydame View Post
I enjoyed this whole series very much HossC, and was especially glad to see the Pico & Figueroa branch picture – that’s the elusive Masonic Hall building I hadn’t been able to find an image of except this fuzzy sketch from the LA Times 9-29-1907 (Hudson & Munsell, architects).

The Masons leased the space to the bank starting 1-1-1921 (per LA Times 12-5-1920).

There was a dramatic and nourish robbery there in July 1929.
(LAT 7-14-1929)

They were still in there as of Oct 1950 when the bank ran an ad celebrating its 60th anniversary. Bert F. Vogel, who'd kept a revolver in his desk in 1929 (the one used to foil the robbery) was still manager!

(LAT 10-10-1950)
Yes, the Masonic Temple is elusive to find photos. I used to HAVE TO GO with my parents to their Masonic meetings and wait for them. We used to park by the Herald Express building and walk over to the Temple. I remember sitting in the library on the second floor looking out and down at the Kelly Kar Ko. across the street. I could look down on the wires for the street cars which would spark sometimes when a street car passed. In the basement was a Ballroom Dance business, I would peep in on them from time to time. Next door was a Pool Hall where I would go and buy a candy bar, nobody ever bothered me there. The elevator was manually operated and they had a man doing that during meetings or you took the stairs. Some of the lodge meeting rooms were plain but the Commandry Room was large with a pipe organ and stage. Sometimes they had entertainment other times it was lodge business. Their were rooms for large dinners which I still can remember, even faces of people that I knew. All Gone Now...