View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 18, 2012, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleven=11 View Post
you cant read that sun-sentinal crap unless you subscribe..
miami or palm beach post are better i think

have they released any photos of the train stations
I guess the ones in palm beach and ft lauderdale will be small
but i guess miami will be huge like a shopping mall / hotel
i had no difficulty in accessing the Sun-Sentinel article. May be a case of the site limiting access to so many articles per month from one non-subscribed PC.

The article points out the potential of increased traffic delays at the FEC grade crossings. Going from a modest freight traffic level to 2 passenger trains an hour (one each way) could become a contentious issue since the FEC is not going to pay for grade separation projects. The FEC may pay for improving the grade crossing with new gates, vehicle detection sensors, but the main responsibility for the grade crossing rests with the state DOT or local governments.

As for the station, the FEC will release renderings when they are ready to do so. What will be confusing is that West Palm Beach, Fort Lauderdale, and Miami will each have 2 separate trains stations: a Tri-Rail & Amtrak station and a FEC Miami-Orlando Airport corridor station. The Miami stations will be connected by Miami Metrorail.

The presence of two train stations in Fort Lauderdale, WPB, and in Orlando with Sun-Rail & Amtrak closer to downtown and the FEC at the airport may well push those cities along towards streetcar and light rail transit projects.