View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 31, 2020, 5:36 PM

It looks like another attempt to develop Fifth Avenue Landing is rejected. Some port commissioners believe the project is too large for the site, among other objections. One quote from the article jumps out at me.

Port commissioners reject $455 million hotel project on San Diego’s downtown bayfront

Quote:
“I love this project, I’ve always liked the hotel, the affordable accommodations but I don’t like it here,” said Commissioner Rafael Castellanos, one of five commissioners who voted against the project. ...

“No question there are tremendous benefits to this project from an economic perspective. But I am very skeptical, I’m incredulous that the (California) Coastal Commission would approve a 44-story hotel tower, 800 rooms that are perpendicular and literally on top of the pedestrian promenade ... I wish the project was in a different location. I don’t believe the environmental impacts can be mitigated and that view obstruction is insurmountable.”
Is it really reasonable to expect the California Coastal Commission to reject an 800 room hotel when the Hilton San Diego Bayfront is right next door? That hotel already has 1,190 rooms with the option of a second tower adding approximately 500 rooms and 55,000 net square feet of ballroom/meeting space.