View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 1:54 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

I'm not a California resident but I have been to California several times this year both northern and southern california, including for a nearly month long work stint and based upon what I have seen I would say it depends...the LA basin seems to me to be more insulated from the pressures I've seen that are pushing people out. I've seen and heard a lot more of the "california dream is dying" stuff around the bay area and the fire-prone hinterlands (sonoma, ventura, etc). I'm not that familiar with what's going on in the San Diego area. This is the year that my thoughts of moving to California died, though, I would say. Probably happened about the time my work crew was forced to fight a wildfire (before Calfire could get there) started by a homeless guy (who was badly burned) to keep it from consuming the work site. It wasn't the only fire I had to deal with...and just remember mumbling "for real?" over the sound of sirens and shouting.

That being said I will continue to work in and visit California and still would *maybe* consider living full time in the LA basin, but I feel like that door is closing as the salary adjustment would no longer match the housing prices in socal (which were still workable just a few years ago). My bay area friends have already left California and some good LA friends are moving to Oregon. That's not to say that if I currently lived in California I would leave...just that the pull factor is dying.

Last edited by Centropolis; Nov 4, 2019 at 3:06 PM.