View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Right, it could mimic urbanized area and/or MSA list potentially... depending on the area parameter value and how it is applied, like if we took a uniform 10-mile radius circle and plopped it on top of the geographic center of a city's population in the case of a 300 sq mi land area... or adjusted for development patterns/terrain.
I don't think using a standard geometric constraint would be apples to apples. For instance, it's not a terrain issue, but I didn't include Windsor, Ontario, in the count for Detroit. With Windsor included, that's about 1.5 million people in an area that is roughly the same size as Dallas (in case you cared).

I think counting 300 or 600 contiguous miles would make the point, and it would start to look the same as urbanized area the larger you made the land area parameter. For instance, if you counted 600 contiguous miles in Miami it would cover half of the urbanized area. If you assume that 50-60% of the population lives in that area, it would most likely be ordered in the same place as the Miami urbanized area, fourth behind NYC, LA, and Chicago.