View Single Post
Old Posted May 13, 2006, 5:38 PM
Curiosity Killed the Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilcan
Goo
that's all you have to say?!?!?

Oh, and I thought this might be interesting to some of you (had to add something).

I want to be selfish with this article and write specifically about the Little Spokane River Natural Area. This part of the park, for those of you who don’t know is located along the Little Spokane River and Rutter Pkwy. The Natural Area is made up of over 2,000 acres of pristine wetlands, lush forests, and amazing views from the ridges and uplands which overlook the corridor.

The LSRNA was established in 1989 in cooperation with Spokane County parks. The general theme for the area is “low impact” recreation. Although it is fine to paddle your canoe, kayak, or raft down the almost 8 miles of water trail, and hike, cross-country ski, and view wildlife in the area, we ask that you leave your tubes, air mattresses, and swimming gear at home. It is actually against the law to partake in these activities in the river. We also ask that you leave your pets (dogs, horses, giraffes, etc…) at home as well. Alcohol, camping, campfires, hunting, hiking off trails, or commercial activity are also all prohibited in the LSRNA. Thank you for your cooperation.

All right, enough with the rules. There are some really neat things on the horizon for the LSRNA. One of the most exciting opportunities for the park is the possibility of transforming the “Clark Barns” into an Environmental Learning Center. The state Audubon Society has placed the old barns near the top of their list for the future site of an Audubon Learning Center. The center would offer and enhance the opportunity for hundreds of schools groups, elder hostels, scout groups, and other visitors to get top quality environmental education programs, adding to the ones we already offer. Committees are being formed and steps are being taken to get this incredible idea moving.

Secondly, there are plans in the making to officially open and connect the trail system near the Indian Painted Rocks. Currently, a visitor can hike the interpretive trail along the Little Spokane River from the Indian Painted Rocks west to the trail head off of Hwy 291. There is also the Valley Trail which leaves from the Painted Rocks and goes north up the valley within the Edburg/Bass Conservation Futures Property (sec 33) then back to the Painted Rocks. The plan is to officially connect these trails from the Painted Rocks, go up the Valley Trail, make a loop over and along the ridge and down to the trail head near Hwy 291 then back to the Painted Rocks. We will install informative signs with mile markers to assist the visitor and enhance their experience. There will also be a map with educational information posted on the bulletin boards at all of the trail heads in the area. I’m hoping to have this project completed by June or July 2005.

Story time… I could write forever about the experiences I’ve had in the 6 years of working in the area, but one of neatest things that I’d say I get from this job and any of our visitors can experience is seeing the wildlife that call the LSRNA home. These include deer (mule and white tailed), great blue heron, cougar, bobcat, various waterfowl, and moose just to name a few. It was just the other day when I saw a beautiful bull and cow moose wandering through the fields near the Indian Painted Rocks. The bull was probably about 4 or 5 years old. He had just begun to grow back his antlers after shedding them for the winter. They (the antlers) looked like two fuzzy microphone covers, but longer and a little bit softer. By the time I see him again they will probably have begun to palmate and grow out into the traditional “Bullwinkle” look. The cow was a little smaller (probably going about 700-800lb). She was somewhat mottled with white/light gray patches on her dark liver coat. They were doing a little browsing and enjoying the afternoon when I saw them. I thought to myself, what a great place to be… not only for me, but for them as well. There I stood, only 10 minutes from the 2nd or 3rd largest city in the State of Washington and not one of us knew it at the time. Anyhow, after what only seemed like a few seconds, they both gave me look of non-interest and then slowly trotted off as to say “we’ll be back here (in the woods), see ya later man.” Once I thought about it, I might say they were the highlight of my day.

I know you have many stories like mine, and no matter how many times I’ve seen moose or had similar experiences, I still find it very fascinating. I try to tell my kids how lucky or fortunate we are to live in or around a place like the Little Spokane River Natural Area, just like my parents tried to tell me. I’m realizing the importance of these places more and more everyday. Let’s work together to protect them.

Finally, I’d like to say that if anyone witnesses a violation in the park, observe from a safe distance and record what you see [license number, description of person(s), type of violation, time, and location] then please contact the park office at 465-5064. Emergencies call 911.

I am always up for comments and/or criticism, so let me have it… macmikkelsen02@hotmail.com

Thanks for reading. Be safe and have fun. Parks are forever.