View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 16, 2012, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
ebay

Latter days of Bunker Hill. The only info attached to this shot are a date (1948) and the notation that "the Hollywood Freeway took this street out in the mid-fifties."
Hmm, if the Hollywood Freeway took it out, then it's not Bunker Hill, is it? I thought the Hollywood Freeway was more properly described as running through Fort Moore Hill. Although I realize Fort Moore Hill was more or less just the north end of Bunker Hill, right?

Judging by the angle of City Hall and the note about the Hollywood Freeway, I have two guesses.

My first guess is California St. - the Park Tract map we discussed many pages back has the west end of it, where it is called Sand Street. It was eliminated with construction of the Hollywood Freeway east of the four-level interchange. It ran from Bunker Hill to Broadway. I don't know why it would be closed like that at one end, though - I don't have a street map of the area from the 1940s.

My second guess is Boston Street. It ran from Centennial to Bunker Hill, parallel to Sunset and was part of the Park Tract. If that's the right place, then the road is closed in the foreground due to construction of the Harbor Freeway, which would be directly behind camera. All that's left of these two blocks of Boston St. are, arguably, a couple of driveways into the Orsini Apartments on either side of Figueroa, just north of the 101.

If we can dig up old photos of Boston St. and California St. perhaps there will be something there to match up.