View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 5:51 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Its too bad the French didnt colonize the hell out of the entire Mississippi River Deltra region in Arkansas, Tennessee, Illinois etc. We could have had other New Orleans all over the South. I mean St. Louis qualifies but unfortunately they tore down basically their equivalent of the French Quarter with the St. Louis Arch.

I was in Cahokia, Il earlier this year, its a very cool place with tons of French colonial houses preserved. The 1699 church was closed so I couldn't get in it, sure wish it would have been open. Ive never made it down to St. Genevieve, MO though to see the beautiful examples of French colonial buildings left there. Arkansas had some French forts during the 17th century and early 1700's but to my knowledge, no above ground architecture remains of the French colonial days in Arkansas. Detroit, MI also was originally a French fort, but none of that remains either I don't think.
Ste. Genevieve is the most complete example of french colonial architecture that I've seen outside of Louisiana in the U.S., it's the kind of place that actually has 1700s french colonial houses on the private market. Cahokia is kind of a small taste of that but is more of a scattered collection.

St. Charles, MO also has a solid collection but the lines blur with very early american architecture.

waymarking.com

pinterest.com