View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 20, 2019, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

On one of these trips (most likely 1932) Mr. Barrymore looted a nearly 40 ft. totem pole from a deserted Tlingit village.
He had members of his crew go ashore and saw the totem pole into three pieces until all that remained was a stump.
The three pieces were then loaded onto the Infanta and taken back to Los Angeles.

The totem pole stood on his estate until he died of cirrhosis of the liver in 1942.

Interesting story, e_r! It makes me wonder how Mr. Todd acquired the totem pole in Palisades Park that he gave to the City of Santa Monica.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
I'm having trouble placing this view....are we looking West on Temple? Am I not recognizing the obvious when I don't recognize the building upper left? (Sisters Hospital?) Am I losing my mind? Did I ever really have possession? Is this a repost? So many questions......Any help appreciated!

CHS

Thanks for posting this image, ScottyB, and also to Noir_Noir and HossC for pinpointing the location. I think we can date the
photo as c. October 1883 to January 1884; for one thing, the sun appears to be out of the south and a little low in the sky.

Also, the building in the center foreground is the First Baptist Church on the NE corner of 6th and Fort (later Broadway), which
was completed in March 1884 (and which this USC photo description seems to misidentify):

Dec 14, 1884, Los Angeles Times @ ProQuest via LAPL

If you look closely at the CHS photo, the church still appears to be under construction; there doesn't seem to be a window
in the round opening in the church's east wall. So, regarding when the First Baptist Church got windows . . .

November 11, 1883, Los Angeles Times @ ProQuest via LAPL

Furthermore, in the CHS photo we don't see the 1884-built Spring Street School just north of the First Baptist Church. You
can see how close the church and school were in this undated photo looking SE down Fort/Broadway toward 6th:

00007837 at LAPL

This photo looks NE at the First Baptist Church, seemingly before the Spring Street School was built to its north:

00076399 at LAPL

And I'm reasonably certain that the Spring Street School north of 6th between Spring and Broadway was under construction by
the end of January 1884 (I don't believe this refers to the original Spring Street School on the NW corner of 2nd and Spring):

February 1, 1884, Los Angeles Herald @ CDNC

Last edited by Flyingwedge; Jan 21, 2019 at 1:33 AM. Reason: fix a couple things