View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 13, 2011, 10:41 PM
You can call me David

[QUOTE=sopas ej;4665453]And some Then and Nows:

1930s: 6000 Sunset Blvd., Hollywood. I'm surprised to learn this used to be a market.

USC archive

2010: 6000 Sunset Blvd., Hollywood. This is now part of the Sunset Gower Studios, I think.

Photo by Me

Nope, 6000 Sunset was not part of Sunset Gower Studios - but this building has a very unique and interesting history!

Between the 1960's and the 1980's, this was the "Western" part of United/Western Studios (United was down the street, at 6050.) The studios were built by Bill Putnam and were the home to many, many famous recordings. I know all about this building, because I worked there from 1977 to 1981.

What was recorded at Western? Many (if not most) of the hits by the Beach Boys, The Mamas And Papas, Jan & Dean, Johnny Rivers, Frank and Nancy Sinatra, Dean Martin, Rick Nelson, Ray Charles, and many many more. Along with Capital, A&M, and Radio Recorders, this was one of the most famous of the "old Hollywood" sound studios. Hundreds and hundreds of hits were recorded there.

I personally was in the control room of Studio 1 (behind the center produce section!) when Mr. Sinatra recorded "New York, New York". In that building I also worked on sessions with Santana, Jonathan Winters, Abba, Ringo Starr, Dolly Parton, Joe Cocker, The Beach Boys, Herbie Hancock, Barbra Streisand, and dozens more. Needless to say it was a very exciting time in my life!

We had always heard that the building had once been a grocery store and at least two of the echo chambers resembled meat lockers or refrigerated rooms. Now I know that it was true!

I have much info about United/Western on my own web site, at http://studioelectronics.biz/URCNewsletter-13.html

In the 1980's United/Western was sold and became Ocean Way Recording. The 6050 Building is Still Ocean Way but 6000 changed hands again, and then fell into disrepair about 10 years ago. The facility came close to being demolished but was sold at auction to EastWest Studios, and has undergone an incredible multi million dollar renovation - design by Philippe Starck. Despite the plain facade, this new facility is one of the finest and most visually stunning studios in the world.

I did quite a double take, seeing the old photo from the 1930's! sopas_ej, thank you so much for posting it.

Now, it was also said that 6000 Sunset was a movie or stage theater in the 40's or 50's. Does anyone have a photo, or info about that incarnation of this famous building?

Last edited by 3940dxer; Nov 15, 2011 at 3:29 AM.