View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 7, 2014, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Second, no... our connection with the U.S. is stronger. I just meant... O.K, let me just say what I actually think so it's clear and can't be misinterpreted: Canada isn't a "thing". It's a political arrangement. The THING is NL/Maritimes/New England, TO/Great Lakes US/Eastern Seaboard, Prairies/Prairies. B.C./Washington. We have stronger connections to the portions of America below us than we do to each other.
That's what I thought until I moved to the US.

The US is very different from Canada. Demographically, the huge Hispanic and African American communities make American cities very different from Canadian cities, which tend to have large South Asian, East Asian, and Southeast Asian populations (or Arab and Caribbean in the case of Quebec).

Many of the cities in the US also developed far earlier than the ones in Canada. This is especially apparent when comparing a city like Toronto to any American city in the Northeast or Midwest; these Northeastern and Midwestern cities are far older. The architecture hits you in the face; it's almost like going to Europe to experience older architecture, on a more subtle level.

Beyond that, there are many other political and social differences, too.