View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 13, 2016, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean
True dat. Those are beauts. Anything at all in the works for United Artists?
Yea supposedly after the immediate area around the new arena is developed the united artists is high on illitch's list to develop next. Also there have been plans for the michigan theater building and the leland has been slowly being renovated step by small step, according to a friend who's father is an investor in the project and also worked on the broderick too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One
Why would it face the wrecking ball? The building directly next to it has been renovated, it seems logical that it would be next to receive investment.
I know it makes no since but it nearly did face the wrecking ball like a year ago there was a petition that went around demanding to save it and fortunately it was given a stay in execution. But i don't know of any plans for it so we may find ourselves signing another petition in the near future.

On another note I remember a similar project that was planned by northwestern h.s. a few months ago although i have not head an update since, good to see this idea gaining traction in the city unlike shipping container housing which for what ever reason still hasn't taken off.
Quote:
Detroit nonprofit creating tiny houses community
August 12, 2016
Staff Blog:
Crain's Detroit Business

Cass Community Social Services is working on a tiny homes project that will see 25 small houses built on the north end of the nonprofit agency's campus in Detroit.

Ranging from 250 to 400 square feet, the homes are primarily for formerly homeless people, senior citizens and college students, as well as a few of the agency's staff. They will be built in the area near Elmhurst Street and the M-10 (Lodge Freeway) Service Drive and east of Woodrow Wilson Avenue. Each lot will be about 30 by 100 feet with most houses having a front porch or rear deck for added living space.

Each house is being built by professional tradespeople and volunteer teams who will help finish the job with tasks such as tiling, drywall installation, painting, gardening, building decks and putting up fences.

It takes about five weeks to build each home, and each house costs between $48,000 and $64,000 to build, The Detroit News reported. Residents will be given the opportunity to rent with the option to buy the house after living in it for seven years. The organization hopes to have residents moving in by October.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...uses-community