View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 26, 2013, 8:49 PM

LAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
I just found this beautiful illustration on ebay last night.

As I 'drove' down the 900 block of South St. Andrews Place my hopes dwindled that this exquisite house stills existed.
The street itself is a mess (cracks and holes...shitty curbing), and the neighborhood is chock full of awful apartment buildings.

gsv

But as I got closer to number 965 my hopes lifted.

gsv

Eureka! It survives. -but a little hard to see behind a shroud of trees.

gsv
__

First, where's my chainsaw?

Right up my alley, ER. I have a few notes on this house.

965 St. Andrews was built for Bert G. (not'S') Strawser, a laundry company executive, in 1911. (The street became South St. Andrews after the major address and street alignments in the city soon after construction.) The Strawsers had several children, at least two of whom lived in the house into adulthood; the family left for N. McCadden Place before 1930; I'm not sure yet if it was immediately after he Strawsers, but Dr. Fred H. Linthicum and his family were in residence by at least 1933 and remained well into the '50s. Before moving to St. Andrews, the Linthicums had been living at 1411 S. Harvard--a house that still stands on its palm-lined street along with what looks like most of its original neighbors.

One son who grew up at 965 is Fred H. Linthicum Jr., born in 1921--also (and apparently still) a doctor:
http://www.hei.org/stories/articles/linthicum.html

PS and unrelated: I've been traveling, using an i-pad... it seems that recent images from the USC library display in disjointed pieces on small screens-- anyone else notice this?