View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 5:03 PM
You can call me David

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post

When I went looking for the pedestrian subway in street view, I noticed this place. I love the sign over the door.... What's it all about?

Google Street View
What's it all about? Scientology. There are plenty of articles about their activities in this building, if you care to Google.

I have lots of memories of 6616 Sunset before Scientology bought it (along with half of Hollywood, it seems).

This building is the former home of Yale Radio, an electronic parts vendor, and in the old days I think, a retail shop for radios. Yale was probably in business for about 50 years. I know a little about their history, though my lurker friend that joined me on Saturday's Conservancy Tour could tell us more. (Ahem! )

When I moved to L.A. in '77, Yale was one of those old school electronics places -- dusty shelves stocked with a wide selection of parts, and very knowledgeable salespeople. Mr. Yale's office was upstairs and they had some nice old radios in the hallway. The founder died in the 1980's IIRC and his daughter took over. She did a major remodel/facelift to the building, which nobody liked. The place drifted on, but sales declined. After a few more years the daughter sold the place to Scientology for a wad of cash and began a new life.

I vaguely recall a subway beneath Sunset in that area. Not sure I'm up to busting into it, but I'll try to get a couple of outside snaps some day.

It would be great to see an old pic of Yale Radio, before the hideous makeover.

Last edited by 3940dxer; Jan 23, 2012 at 8:36 PM.