View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 7:24 PM
Registered (Nimby Ab)User

Location: At a computer, wasting my life on a skyscraper website
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post
Warping or oil canning is no tell-tale indication of a high or low quality glazing system especially on a skyscraper. Infact a more expensive higher quality system might have more flex than a lower quality system. For example a more expensive and more efficient 3 pane system usually has thinner individual glass panes and thus will often have more oil-canning effect than a less expensive less efficient 2 pane system that has thicker individual panes. Also in a skyscraper some flex in the glazing is desirable as the glazing system has to adjust to changes in pressure inside and outside the building. Especially in colder climates the pressure inside a building changes a lot over the year. In the summer all the cold air from the AC is trying to rush out of the bottom of the building causing high pressure at the base that is the reason for that gust of wind you feel walking into a tall building. In the winter it's just the opposite all the hot air from the heating is rushing to the top of the building causing high pressure at the top of the building.
Ok thanks a lot, this makes a lot of sense.. so if im understanding this correctly, at 1WTC (just for example), which has perfectly flat panes (aesthetics were a priority there for obvious reasons), they either had to pay a lot more money, or had to sacrifice some of the building's energy efficiency and/or operational lifetime of the system, etc.. maybe both

Quote:
Originally Posted by pico44 View Post
You are right that poor quality glass is easy to spot. But you are wrong regarding your ability to identify it. Maybe that’s your curse?
Another name for this curse is the "Dunning-Kreuger effect", and it has gotten me, yet again. *Dons Dunce Hat*

I heard the UN is moving its HQ there. The eiffel tower is moving there soon as well. Elon Musk even decided he didnt want to go to mars anymore after visiting.