View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
However, the film IS called "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" a fairytale/fantasy as South Pasadena writes above, and i'm leaning toward his thoughts on it at the moment.
I really did like it. I saw it with my partner, and as we were walking out of the theater, I told him that probably the only thing I didn't like about it was I felt they belabored the fact that the Leo DiCaprio character was a washed-up actor; I felt they spent too much time establishing that in the beginning of the film. I'm like 'OK, we get it.' It took me a bit to get into the movie at the beginning for that reason... but once I got into it, I was really into it.

I also kept looking at little details, too... and of course I understand not being able to totally recreate 1969 Los Angeles, but I was kind of disappointed that they couldn't recreate the "shoe-box"-style streetlights that Hollywood Boulevard would have had back then, and the street signs were totally not correct for the period... and then in the film you also see a freeway exit with an exit number... I was like 'noooo!' California didn't start to have exit numbers on its freeways until about 2002. I guess my gut reaction to that was because I kinda liked that California was badass in being the only state without exit numbers until fairly recently.

I read online somewhere that Quentin Tarantino might release another version of this movie, because as you mentioned, so much was cut out for this release, which I assume is also the same version that was shown at this year's Cannes Film Festival. He said the film could have easily been 4 hours.

Also, the film is helping me look back on that era with a different perspective. When I was younger, I felt that the late 1960s was when things started going "downhill" in terms of the look of things and the way LA looked, but maybe it's because now, 1969 is already 50 years ago, and it's now acquired a patina that makes it look like an era lost? I was born in 1970 and when I was a teen, I wished that I was born in 1940, hehe. But now, I'm appreciating the way even the early 1970s looked in LA. I got a kick out of watching this video; it really brought me back. I'm like 'wow, gas stations with full service, and the sound of the bell as you drove over the hose!'

Video Link

~ Charles Bukowski