View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 18, 2021, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRCRASH View Post
^ I like how that concept utilizes some freight corridors and turning them into Metrolink lines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
We should note that map is pure fantasy (it's titled SC Transit Dream Map_2014) in case anyone gets the wrong idea here. Though I do like the idea of a Metrolink line to San Pedro using existing freight tracks. I don't know how practical that would be, but as a railfan I would like nothing more than to take a diesel train on a night ride through the industrial heartland of the region.
That was the idea in Sierra Club's map was about utilizing the Right of ways we have so that we can focus on the core corridors that need the heavier infrastructure (Vermont, Whittier, etc).

Thankfully diesel locomotive technology has improved considerably in the last decade to where a Metrolink style service could work. Metro studied the entire Harbor Subdivision Corridor back in 2009-2010 from the Blue Line through the South Bay. They learned that on top of the Green Line Extension to Torrance having the highest priority.

Metro thought that a 7 day a week Metrolink Service (from LA Union Station, LAX, South Bay and San Pedro) would be justified and could have been upgraded for under $1B in 2009 dollars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRCRASH View Post
That's cool, i'd actually prefer it continue on to the Signal Hill/LGB area so we can have some form of Metrolink access to the Long Beach area.
However that ROW ends at Carson Street on a lumber yard to continue to Signal Hill and LGB would require costly trenching/tunnelling

The Opposite of PRO is CON, that fact is clearly seen.
If Progress means moves forward, then what does Congress mean?