View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
We have visited Rodger Young Village on NLA..

But I'm drawing a blank on this Rodger Young Auditorium.

eBay (no longer listed)

Have we seen, or discussed, this auditorium?

Holy cr*p that's incredible. That's the old Turn Verein Halle by Krempel & Erkes. I've never seen such a good photo of it—boy I wish I owned that photo; just glad it's here though. I wrote a whole thing about it, once, I was sure it was on this site, guess it was somewhere else.

In any event it looks like the work I did, or someone having dug up the same information, made it onto the PCAD site

The Turnverein Germania Club on Washington Boulevard was set amidst many mortuaries by the 1930s; the club lost the property in 1940; the building was renamed the "Los Angeles Turners Club" during the height of anti-German feeling in 1943; in 1945, Kalman Loeb, Sr., purchased the building and renamed it after Rodger Young, a 25 year-old Los Angeles resident and World War II hero, who died in the Solomon Islands in 1943; Loeb bought the Krempel building and a miniature golf course that existed next door for $150,000; the golf course was later removed for a parking lot; the Loeb family sold the building for $700,000 in 1978, and its contents were auctioned off; the interior of the auditorium accommodated a bar 60 feet long with 50 stools, making it one of the longest in the city;

Storefronts facing Washington Boulevard were eliminated after WW II to create more room for Loeb's auditorium business;

It was demolished after 1978; a warehouse was erected on the property thereafter;