View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 1, 2015, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownTown View Post
Where are all these buses coming from though? Won't going to New Jersey mean a much longer commute for some? I guess those buses could just stop somewhere else instead though.
I'm not convinced the commute will be longer into Manhattan. Intuitively having the bus terminal further away would lead to a longer commute, but that doesn't take into account the wicked bottlenecks that form at the mouth of the Lincoln Tunnel that persist for most hours of the day. At rush hour it's standstill. If there is an accident, all hope is lost! Even on the Manhattan side, the 1 1/2 block journey from the PABT entrance to the Lincoln tunnel can get incredibly gridlocked. It's not unusual to wait over half an hour in traffic just to enter the tunnel.

Additionally, the traffic problems are only getting worse. Bus traffic into Manhattan, or traffic in general for that matter, is growing each year. Then there is the question where to idle all these buses until the afternoon rush back home.

A bus station in New Jersey, with an easy transfer to a NYC subway train, may end up being a lot faster.

It would be interesting to see a study on the origin of passengers arriving at the PABT. My guess is NJT is a heavy feeder, particularly with folks in Hudson, Essex and Bergen counties getting to work.

Google reveals this. Nearly 80,000 (of the PABT 225,000 daily passenger volume is from New Jersey) arrives on NJT. The private Jitney service operating throughout North Jersey probably ads another 15,000 more. The balance of 130,000 must be a mix of private operators catering to the weekday workers from neighboring states and the greyhound crowd visiting from across the country.