View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 18, 2012, 3:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckaluck View Post
Thanks for the tutorial, (unaware of "control + v") . . . its the posting or uploading of the image which is the issue. Thought I had read somewhere . . . (Chickasaw Hotel Lobby Guest Rules?) . . . that it was possible to "grab" an image and post it without using a hosting service. This might be possible if this site hosted such a service. The forum's image posting guide confirms the need to use such a service. (Last time I ask room service for posting advice. Next time, the front desk!) http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=168165

Thanks again.
Yeah, you need to have hosting. Most forums are like that. Picasa is free, though.

Quick(ish) guide to uploading your own pics & screen caps with (and to) Picasa, assuming you have a PC....

Ctrl-V is the paste command, due to letter V's place on the keyboard in a line with X and C - Ctrl-X is cut and Ctrl-C is copy. 'Print Screen' copies an image of your screen to your computer's clipboard, the same place that most programs put stuff when you use the copy or cut command while editing documents, or web browsing, etc.

I use Picasa (the program) to organize my pictures. When I do a print screen while Picasa is running, it shows up automatically in a 'screen captures' folder. Then I can crop it down to eliminate stuff like menu and scroll bars, and upload it to the Picasa web site. Picasa is part of Google, and although the Picasa program now labels their upload button as 'Google+' instead of 'Picasa Web Albums', Google+ albums and Picasa Web Albums are actually the same location with two different addresses. So when visiting the pics with my browser, I just continue to use the Picasa URL at picasaweb.google.com.

If you have a Google account such as Gmail, you should easily be able to set up a Picasa account. Probably easiest to do it when installing the Picasa application. When uploading pictures, it allows you to upload the pics at a web sharing size of 2048 pixels wide, which doesn't count towards your free 1GB of storage. (I've got thousands of pictures uploaded, and am only using 3.7% due to some special pics that I uploaded at full size.) If your picture is already smaller than 2048px, choosing the web sharing size will have no effect. You pick an online album location for your upload - use an existing folder, or make a new one. Maximum size per online folder is 1000 pictures.

After uploading, the page for each photo lets you link to the photo page, or embed just the picture, with or without a link back to the album. It creates the URL for you on the fly based on the options you pick, and you just copy and paste it.

For example, for the picture below here's the link they create in the 'embed image' box, when I select 'image only' and thumbnail size:
Code:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-SrRhcRWJGiI/UJ9GoSeUZQI/AAAAAAAAf_k/gtv9H7EF5ZU/s144/DSC03854.JPG
The part that says "/s144/" in the example above indicates the size of the largest dimension, in pixels. There's a drop-down menu to select this size and a few others. The biggest selectable size on the Picasa page is 800, but when you paste the link you can change that part to s1000, or s1200, or whatever size you want. If you change it to s0, it will post the picture at the original size that you uploaded it (such as the web-sharing size of 2048 pixels).

For this forum I typically use 1000 pixels, which comes out this size:

I took this shot of some buildings most of us should be familiar with, at the end of October, from the observation deck of LA City Hall. 27th floor, fantastic views in all directions! The only drawback is that they aren't open on the weekends.