View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 17, 2013, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
file this under: Hiding in plain sight.
1450 Ocean Avenue

http://www.365-la.com/2011/07/197-camera-obscura.html
ER-- Amazing discovery. At first I thought it was just a modern building--then I realized that what's inside it is old. I'd say it's time to remove the modern façade, but it actually has a bit of odd charm, at least from your pics.

As for

Quote:
Originally Posted by so-cal-bear View Post
None of that block had fences when I lived there as a 10 year old here's proof. I don't live there anymore but here's a photo of me in 1983 (I'm somewhere there, the light skinned young kid with the long hair blocking half his forehead) I always loved those 3 houses on Adams and Ellendale even as a kid in the early 1980's. 1315 was always tattered-looking, even then! The house to it's left was facelifted in 83' and it looked nice, I lived there from 1973 when I we moved out in 1988 when I lived close to it. But all of Adam's Street block from Ellendale to Vermont was never fenced in. I looked at the Google street views and I'm surprised, sad how every single along from Adams to Ellendale is.

That is a great shot of you parading down Adams, so-cal-bear--the Kerckhoff house at left looks good. I figured its fence was fairly recent, but not that the vine-covered wall in front of the Bonsall-Peck house was so new. A rare instance of someone's personal picture revealing what otherwise may never have been known about a streetscape--and there aren't many pictures of this part of Adams of any vintage.

While poking around for some more info on the Kerckhoff house (1325 W Adams), I came across these San Pedro notes in the Times of April 29, 1897:

I wonder if Herman didn't tip off George about the widow Bonsall selling the house next door after her husband's demise in 1905...

Also interesting is that it looks like George laid the first concrete sidewalks in 'Pedro, though not, apparently, the ones around his house there....